An argumentative essay requires you to decide on a topic and take a position on it. You’ll need to back up your viewpoint with well-researched facts and information as well. One of the hardest parts is deciding which topic to write about, but there are plenty of ideas available to get you started.
Choosing a Great Argumentative Essay Topic
Quite often, the best topic is one that you truly care about, but you also need to be prepared to research it. You’ll have to back up your claim (whichever side you choose) with lots of evidence and support.
Students often find that most of their work on these essays is done before they even start writing. This means that it’s best if you have a general interest in your subject, otherwise you might get bored or frustrated while trying to gather information. You don’t need to know everything, though. Part of what makes this experience rewarding is learning something new.
The subject you choose may not necessarily be one that you are in full agreement with, either. For example, in college, you may be asked to write a paper from the opposing point of view. Researching a different viewpoint helps students broaden their perspectives.
50 Topic Ideas for Argument Essays
Sometimes, the best ideas are sparked by looking at many different options. Explore this list of possible topics and see if a few pique your interest. Write those down as you come across them, then think about each for a few minutes.
Which would you enjoy researching? Do you have a firm position on a particular subject? Is there a point you would like to make sure and get across? Did the topic give you something new to think about? Can you see why someone else may feel differently?
A number of these topics are rather controversial and that’s the point. In an argumentative essay, opinions matter and controversy is based on opinions, which are, hopefully, backed up by facts. If these topics are a little too controversial or you don’t find the right one for you, try browsing through persuasive essay topics as well.
- Is global climate change caused by humans?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- Is our election process fair?
- Is torture ever acceptable?
- Should men get paternity leave from work?
- Are school uniforms beneficial?
- Do we have a fair tax system?
- Do curfews keep teens out of trouble?
- Is cheating out of control?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Should animals be used for research?
- Should cigarette smoking be banned?
- Are cell phones dangerous?
- Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
- Do we have a throw-away society?
- Is child behavior better or worse than it was years ago?
- Should companies market to children?
- Should the government have a say in our diets?
- Does access to condoms prevent teen pregnancy?
- Should members of Congress have term limits?
- Are actors and professional athletes paid too much?
- Should athletes be held to high moral standards?
- Are CEOs paid too much?
- Do violent video games cause behavior problems?
- Should creationism be taught in public schools?
- Are beauty pageants exploitative ?
- Should English be the official language in the United States?
- Should the racing industry be forced to use biofuels?
- Should the alcohol drinking age be increased or decreased?
- Should everyone be required to recycle?
- Is it okay for prisoners to vote?
- Should gay couples be able to marry?
- Are there benefits to attending a single-sex school ?
- Does boredom lead to trouble?
- Should schools be in session year-round ?
- Does religion cause war?
- Should the government provide health care?
- Should abortion be illegal?
- Are girls too mean to each other?
- Is homework harmful or helpful?
- Is the cost of college too high?
- Is college admission too competitive?
- Should euthanasia be illegal?
- Should marijuana be legal?
- Do rich people need to pay more taxes?
- Should schools require foreign language or physical education?
- Is affirmative action fair or not?
- Is public prayer okay in schools?
- Are schools and teachers responsible for low test scores?
- Is greater gun control a good idea?